There is No Question That a 97% On A Quiz Or a Test Is Pretty Good... - 10/31/2016
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, October 31, 2016
Safety E-QuickTips is a weekly email designed to help Employers and Employees start their week with a short thought about safety in the workplace.
There Is No Question That a 97% On a Quiz Or a Test Is Pretty Good...
When I was in school getting a 97% on a quiz or test was considered pretty good. In fact, for me that would have been great.
Today, if you were to take an OSHA Outreach 10 or 30 hour safety class, to pass the course you would only have to get a 70% on your test. So again, a 97% would be great.
Based on that we might be safe to assume that if 97% of America’s workforce was not injured on the job in a year, we would be doing a pretty good job of protecting America’s workforce.
It might also make sense to believe that if America’s workforce worked safely at least 97% of the time they would be doing a pretty good job of protecting themselves from workplace accidents, right?
Well, let’s take a look one statistic from 2015 that may make you think otherwise.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in 2015 there were approximately 2.9 million nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses reported by private industry employers in 2015. That works out to a rate of 3.0 cases per 100 equivalent full-time workers.
Let’s do the math. 3 cases per 100 equivalent full-time workers works out to be 3%, leaving us with 97%.
That sounds pretty good until you realize that adds up to 2.9 million nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses in 2015.
And we don’t even want to think about getting just a passing grade (70%) when it comes to workplace safety!
There is no question that a 97% on a quiz or a test is pretty good, but when it comes to workplace safety, that’s still not good enough. We have to strive for 100% in an effort to make sure that we are doing our best to make sure that all of America’s workforce goes home at the end of each and every workday in the same condition they came to work.
So, do your part as an employee, management or company owner to make sure we do everything possible to prevent workplace accidents, today and each and every workday to follow. With everyone doing their job, we will edge our way closer to that 100% or zero accidents in the workplace.
Have you just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
If you know of someone or a company that might benefit from receiving Safety E-QuickTips, please take a moment to share this with them so they can sign-up today.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2016 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/27/2016 - Recordable Injuries in 2016
- 12/19/2016 - So If You Are An Employee or An Employer Do Your Part...
- 12/12/2016 - This is the Time of the Year...
- 12/05/2016 - Kept it Simple - Keep Them Safe
- 11/28/2016 - Give Thanks For Where We Are Today...
- 11/21/2016 - It Will Be a Win/Win For Everyone
- 11/14/2016 - ... The Way They Handled Their OSHA Inspection Did More Harm Than Good
- 11/07/2016 - So Why is it That Some Are Willing to Take Chances...
- 10/31/2016 - There is No Question That a 97% On A Quiz Or a Test Is Pretty Good...
- 10/24/2016 - I Do Think That If You Do Something...