And You Thought It Was Tough Getting Started - 10/23/2017
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, October 23, 2017
Safety E-QuickTips is a weekly email designed to help Employers and Employees start their week with a short thought about safety in the workplace.
And You Thought It Was Tough Getting Started
So you’re a month or so into implementing your company safety program and you are noticing that it’s just not moving along quite like you thought.
It was tough to get everyone on board at first, but finally they decided to give it a chance. So you pulled everyone together, laid out the plan and you were on your way.
Then it happened (or should I say it didn’t happen).
We’ve seen it time and time again – It’s like those New Year’s resolutions that come to an end before they even get started.
You find yourself fighting tooth and nail to get everyone to stay involved in the program and as each week passes, it becomes more and more difficult to keep them involved. Finally you just give up.
And you thought it was tough getting started – that was the easy part.
Getting everyone to stay involved - that’s where the real work is.
You may have heard it said that it takes about 18-30 days for something to become a habit. Well additional studies have shown that it’s more like an average of 66 days and even that can vary widely from 18-254 days.
With that in mind you can see how implementing a company safety program can become very challenging and even overwhelming as the process moves forward. How long it takes a new habit to form can vary widely depending on the behavior, the person, and the circumstances.
So the question becomes how do we keep the process of implementing the company safety program alive for more than 8 months (254 days) so that it overcomes the obstacles that stand in the way?
The good news is that there are 4 steps you can do to help ensure the process is a success. They are:
- Get management and employees to buy into the process.
- Get everyone engaged in the process.
- Provide continued awareness of why the success of the program is important to everyone.
- Don’t let little setbacks get in the way of obtaining your goal.
Over the next few weeks we’ll take a look at how these 4 steps can help you implement and keep your safety program going strong for years to come. The process may not be easy, but I assure you it will be worth it.
If you have just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at past issues, check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
If you know of someone or a company that might benefit from receiving Safety E-QuickTips, please take a moment to share this with them so they can sign-up today.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2017 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/26/2017 - You Must Complete it By December 31st
- 12/18/2017 - Workplace Safety Is Both Personal and Good Business
- 12/11/2017 - How To Put Together A Site Specific Safety Plan...
- 12/04/2017 - What Can We Do To Eliminate These Accidents?
- 11/27/2017 - Why Don't More Employers Have Safety Meetings... On A Regular Basis?
- 11/20/2017 - But Along With Everything I Look Forward To...
- 11/13/2017 - Anything Worthwhile Never Comes Easy
- 11/06/2017 - It Takes Planning And A Consistent Effort
- 10/30/2017 - What's In It For Me
- 10/23/2017 - And You Thought It Was Tough Getting Started