Find a Better Way For Your Company - 10/01/2018
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, October 1, 2018
Find a Better Way For Your Company
For the last few weeks we’ve been talking about how you can simplify workplace safety. So far we’ve discussed determining where you are in the process and what you are looking to accomplish in the future.
We’ve outlined 4 simple, but very effective steps to developing a safety program system that will help you meet your requirements and covered the 1st step, establishing safety policies and procedures that will meet OSHA, client and third-party prequalification requirements.
Last week we began reviewing the 2nd step with an emphasis on communication, focusing on the importance of getting everyone communicating, from employees to management and a safety consultant (if you’re using one), to help ensure the successful implementation of the process.
This week we’re going to get more into the nuts and bolts of steps 2-4 so you can see how quick and easy the process can be.
So here goes.
Communicating policies and procedures to your employees
As mentioned last week there are several ways to communicate your company safety policies and procedures to your employees. You could:
- Schedule interactive class room or online safety training
- Provide continued hazard awareness with quick 1 topic safety meetings
- Provide employee safety handbooks that highlight your policies and procedures
You might find a couple of these options work best for you or you might do a little of everything, but the key is to start doing something.
Performing regular and frequent workplace safety inspections
Often, we find companies making this more difficult than it must be. Although you should always be watching to ensure employees are working in a safe way, performing regular and frequent workplace safety inspections should be done at least 2-4 times per month. To keep them quick and to the point inspections should be:
- Performed by company management familiar with the hazards your employees are exposed to and/or a competent person
- Designed around the hazards your employees will be exposed to
- Documented and signed by the individual performing the inspection
Enforcing safety policies and procedures with your employees
This last one always seems like the most difficult for companies to implement.Here are some things that you might do to get the process rolling:
- Have a specific enforcement schedule for employee violations (should be included in your policies and procedures).
- Have enforcement forms available to document employee violations, so the person doing the write ups can follow a format.
- Provide a 1-3 month probation period where employees who are written up are not reprimanded, but only made aware of what the enforcement action would have been.
- Include a group incentive program as part of the process. Something like a pizza lunch for everyone if you go 3 months without a write up.
Always remember that an enforcement program is not about seeing how many employees you can catch doing something wrong. It’s about letting employees know that you take their safety seriously and that they should to.
As I mentioned throughout this series, we believe there is a better way to handle workplace safety and compliance.To be a better way you it should provide you a quick, easy and cost-effective way to implement a workplace safety and compliance program.
So please, find a better way for your company and help make sure all your employees go home at the end of the day in the same physical condition when they started their day.
Have you just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at 300+ past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
If you know of someone or a company that might benefit from receiving Safety E-QuickTips, please take a moment to share this with them so they can sign-up today.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2018 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/26/2018 - Happy New Year
- 12/17/2018 - A Blast From The Past
- 12/10/2018 - It's Just The Smart Thing To Do
- 12/03/2018 - And That's When It Really Counts
- 11/26/2018 - It's Always Better To Be Safe Than Sorry
- 11/19/2018 - With All Those Extra Distractions...
- 11/12/2018 - Here Are Some Tips To Help Prevent...
- 11/05/2018 - Whatever the Case May Be, Before You Choose...
- 10/29/2018 - What a Difference a Minute Makes
- 10/22/2018 - It's Not Just What You Know When It Comes to Workplace Safety...