It's Always Better To Be Safe Than Sorry - 11/26/2018
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, November 26, 2018
It's Always Better To Be Safe Than Sorry
Often when employees come to work for the first day, employers assume they understand the hazards associated with the work they will be performing and that they will work in a safe manner, especially those who have experience in their trade or industry.
But that is not necessarily the case. . .
Just because an employee has experience in your trade or industry doesn't mean they have a complete understanding of the hazards associated with the work you perform or that they even take those hazards seriously. And for those who are new to an industry or trade, we can't assume that they will just figure it out.
So, I believe it’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to workplace safety.
Establishing a new employee safety orientation program is a win-win for everyone because it helps to:
- Protect employees from accidents in the workplace
- Reduce costs associated with employee accidents
- Protect bidding opportunities
- Protect your company from costly OSHA citations
So how do you go about establishing a new employee safety orientation program? Here are a few ideas that might help you get started:
- Prepare a list of your safety policies, procedures, and the specific hazards associated with your trade or industry and review them in detail with your new employees. This can be done as a group session or on an individual basis. Don't forget to document the training.
- Provide each new employee with a company employee safety handbook and ask them to read the handbook, answer any questions, and then ask them to sign an acknowledgment showing they have read and understand the information. This should be done prior to the start of any work.
- Use an online safety orientation that includes a short quiz to ensure the employees understand the information.
If you are just starting your new employee safety orientation program today, don't forget to include your existing employees in the program. This new awareness of your company's safety policies and procedures will go a long way in helping to protect them from hazards in the workplace.
Just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at 300+ past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
If you know of someone or a company that might benefit from receiving Safety E-QuickTips, please take a moment to share this with them so they can sign-up today.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2018 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/26/2018 - Happy New Year
- 12/17/2018 - A Blast From The Past
- 12/10/2018 - It's Just The Smart Thing To Do
- 12/03/2018 - And That's When It Really Counts
- 11/26/2018 - It's Always Better To Be Safe Than Sorry
- 11/19/2018 - With All Those Extra Distractions...
- 11/12/2018 - Here Are Some Tips To Help Prevent...
- 11/05/2018 - Whatever the Case May Be, Before You Choose...
- 10/29/2018 - What a Difference a Minute Makes
- 10/22/2018 - It's Not Just What You Know When It Comes to Workplace Safety...