The Perfect Safety Meeting - 11/18/2013
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, November 18, 2013
Safety E-QuickTips is a weekly email designed to help Employers and Employees start their week with a short thought about safety in the workplace.
The Perfect Safety Meeting
Today I'd like to talk a little about the "Safety Meeting".
There is no question that safety meetings are one of the best ways to provide your employees continued awareness of hazards in the workplace and based on some of the stories I hear about employee accidents, there is no question they need continued awareness.
So, when was the last time you had a safety meeting? Who attended the meeting? How long was your meeting? What safety topic(s) were reviewed at the meeting? I'm going to guess that almost everyone reading this Safety E-QuickTip will remember the last time they held a safety meeting. If you can't, that's OK. Start by having a meeting today!
Why not? What better way to start the work week off with your employees, than to show them how important their safety is to the company. The great thing about it... it doesn't have to take long. Just 5-10 minutes and your employees can be off to work. If you're not able to put on a safety meeting today, remember, there are at least 4 more days in the work week that you could fit one in.
For those of you who are new to putting on safety meetings or even those that have been putting them on for years, let me give you my idea of the perfect safety meeting.
- * Takes place at least once every week
- * Is attended by all employees
- * Is 5 to 10 minutes long
- * Covers one specific safety topic that is relevant to the potential workplace hazards
- * Is read or reviewed by someone in management
- * Is documented with who was in attendance, the date and location of the meeting and provides a description of what was discussed
Now, if you find you are not able to put on what I consider the perfect safety meeting, don't let that stop you. Not every company can meet all the criteria of what I consider to be the perfect safety meeting.
But, if you can find a way to put together safety meetings on a regular and frequent basis, those that communicate to employees the hazards they may be exposed to while at work and the value of protecting themselves from those hazards, then I would say THAT is also the perfect safety meeting.
If you have a specific way that you put on safety meeting's and you believe it is perfect for your company, I'd love to hear about it. You can email me at email@example.com or give me a call at 1-888-475-5353.
Don't forget to check out our current blog posting, "Who In Your Company Is Involved" and give us your thoughts and input.
Have you just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Customized Online Safety Programs
Online 1 Hour Safety Training
Workplace Safety Posters
Latest Archived 2013 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/30/2013 - Another Year Coming to an End...
- 12/23/2013 - We Should Never Let a Bad Day Get Us So Frustrated
- 12/16/2013 - Check with a Company Familiar with Safety Requirements
- 12/09/2013 - Help Keep Your Employees Safe While Driving This Holiday Season
- 12/02/2013 - Work Safe This Week
- 11/25/2013 - No One Went Home Early That Holiday
- 11/18/2013 - The Perfect Safety Meeting
- 11/11/2013 - We Still Have A Long Way To Go
- 11/04/2013 - OSHA's New Globally Harmonized System
- 10/28/2013 - Much More Than Just Meeting OSHA Requirements