My Point Today is Simple... - 03/14/2016
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, March 14, 2016
Safety E-QuickTips is a weekly email designed to help Employers and Employees start their week with a short thought about safety in the workplace.
My Point Today is Simple...
When was the last time you inspected your safety equipment? How closely did you inspect it?
If you found your safety equipment did not fit properly or to be defective in any way, did you have it replaced or repaired?
A young man was free climbing at a private residence preparing to trim trees. He was 40’ high in a tree when his 7 year old positioning saddle broke and he went 40’ to his death.
A 27 year old man was working with a coworker dismantling suspended scaffolding at the 160’ level of a concrete silo. Both were wearing proper fall protection equipment and attached to nylon lanyards secured to independent lines. The victim lost his balance and fell off the unguarded edge of the scaffolding and as the lanyard caught him, it snapped causing him to fall 160’ to his death.
When the lanyard was inspected after the accident it was found that it had burn damage in several places including the area where it broke.
A telecommunication tower technician was climbing a 17 story water tower wearing oversized fall protection equipment that had been given to him. He slipped and fell 180’ to his death.
The above are just 3 examples of where defective or improperly fitted safety equipment led to the death of an employee just doing their job.
While it’s true that not all defective or improperly fitted safety equipment when called on to do its job will lead to death, it could lead to a serious eye injury, burns on your body, electrical shock and in the case of an improperly fitted respirator, a serious respiratory illness later in life.
My point today is simple.
Inspect your safety equipment every time you use it, inspect it well and if you find that it does not fit properly or is defective, get it replaced. Your life or even your quality of life might depend on it.
Have you just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2016 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/27/2016 - Recordable Injuries in 2016
- 12/19/2016 - So If You Are An Employee or An Employer Do Your Part...
- 12/12/2016 - This is the Time of the Year...
- 12/05/2016 - Kept it Simple - Keep Them Safe
- 11/28/2016 - Give Thanks For Where We Are Today...
- 11/21/2016 - It Will Be a Win/Win For Everyone
- 11/14/2016 - ... The Way They Handled Their OSHA Inspection Did More Harm Than Good
- 11/07/2016 - So Why is it That Some Are Willing to Take Chances...
- 10/31/2016 - There is No Question That a 97% On A Quiz Or a Test Is Pretty Good...
- 10/24/2016 - I Do Think That If You Do Something...