But Now Everyone Wants to See That... - 07/25/2016
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, July 25, 2016
Safety E-QuickTips is a weekly email designed to help Employers and Employees start their week with a short thought about safety in the workplace.
But Now Everyone Wants to See That...
Today more than ever there are more demands being put on employers when it comes to implementing their company safety program.
It used to be that General Contractors, Insurance Companies and Third Party companies like ISNetworld, Avetta and others just wanted to see that employers had a written safety program. Some even asked very specific safety questions to make sure their safety programs included everything they felt was needed.
But now everyone wants to see that those safety programs have been implemented.
They are asking to see documentation of safety training, safety meetings and safety inspections. If you say you have a safety committee, they want to see minutes of meetings to ensure your committee is real. In fact, it’s not uncommon for some of these companies to do a full blown safety audit.
And on top of all that, with OSHA’s increased penalty structure coming in August, it’s never been more important to make sure that you not only have a safety program, but that it is implemented and documented so when anyone askes to see what you are doing with your program, you can easily provide that information.
That being the case, I thought it might be a good idea for the next few weeks to review what OSHA requires of employers because if you can meet those requirements, you would be well on your way in meeting any other safety requirements others might be asking of you.
So here they are if you haven’t already seen them in past Safety E-QuickTips.
- Have safety policies and procedures for your company
- Effectively communicate those policies and procedures to your employees
- Provide regular and frequent workplace safety inspections
- Enforce safety with your employees
There they are. They’re not complicated or difficult to understand, but I can tell you that most employers cannot honestly say they have all 4 of them in place. They would struggle to prove they have even 3 of them in place.
After saying that, I can also say that most employers believe they provide their employees a safe workplace.
Today I’m going to cover the easy one and that is that you must have Safety Policies and Procedures for your company. Why is that the easy one?
Because your company safety program is your company’s safety policies and procedures. If you’ve developed your company safety program to comply with OSHA’s regulations, you should have everything you need in place to make the other 3 happen.
In the next few weeks I’m going to make sure that I not only cover what you need to do to meet the last 3 requirements, I’m also going to provide you some ideas on how you can start to implement each of them, so please make sure you don’t miss a week.
Have you just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
If you know of someone or a company that might benefit from receiving Safety E-QuickTips, please take a moment to share this with them so they can sign-up today.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2016 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/27/2016 - Recordable Injuries in 2016
- 12/19/2016 - So If You Are An Employee or An Employer Do Your Part...
- 12/12/2016 - This is the Time of the Year...
- 12/05/2016 - Kept it Simple - Keep Them Safe
- 11/28/2016 - Give Thanks For Where We Are Today...
- 11/21/2016 - It Will Be a Win/Win For Everyone
- 11/14/2016 - ... The Way They Handled Their OSHA Inspection Did More Harm Than Good
- 11/07/2016 - So Why is it That Some Are Willing to Take Chances...
- 10/31/2016 - There is No Question That a 97% On A Quiz Or a Test Is Pretty Good...
- 10/24/2016 - I Do Think That If You Do Something...