Effective August 1, 2016... - 07/11/2016
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Monday, July 11, 2016
Safety E-QuickTips is a weekly email designed to help Employers and Employees start their week with a short thought about safety in the workplace.
Effective August 1, 2016...
Another 4th of July has come and gone with fireworks displays seen around the US. Some were impressive and some not so due to weather conditions that created low cloud cover. But in the end, a holiday for family and friends to get together and celebrate this great country.
Now that the celebration is over, it’s time to get back to business and do what needs to be done to keep America’s workforce safe and to protect companies from costly OSHA citations.
Remember a while back when I mentioned that OSHA was going to increase their penalty structure? Well, it’s happened. On August 1st they will be raising penalties across the board by a whopping 78%.
Yes, you read it right - OSHA penalties are going up 78%.
Let me break this down for you so you can really see what this means if you are cited by OSHA beginning in August.
A serious violation that is currently $7,000 will increase to $12,471; that is a $5,471 increase. A repeat violation that currently is from $14,000-$35,000 will be from $24,842-$62,355. That could mean an increase by as much as $27,355 from the current rate.
For all of you small to medium size businesses, OSHA will still be giving discounts for the size of your company, but percentage-wise, everyone will be paying the same increase.
So, what does this mean for America’s businesses?
If you are not already doing so, you better start working on a way to protect your company from this costly increase in penalties.
To do that you will need to do four things.
- Develop Policies and Procedures for Safety
- Communicate your Policies and Procedures to your employees
- Do Regular and Frequent Safety Inspections
- Enforce Safety with your employees
And by the way, I almost forgot to mention that beginning in 2017, OSHA will be raising penalties based on the Consumer Price Index. Just one more reason to make sure your company is protected.
Have you just received your first Safety E-QuickTip or just want to take a look at past issues? Check out our Safety E-QuickTips Archive Page on our website.
If you know of someone or a company that might benefit from receiving Safety E-QuickTips, please take a moment to share this with them so they can sign-up today.
Thanks for Reading and Please - Work Safe This Week!
U.S. Compliance Systems, Inc.
Receive Safety E-Quick Tips First Thing Monday Morning 4:30 EST
Latest Archived 2016 - Safety E-Quick Tips
- 12/27/2016 - Recordable Injuries in 2016
- 12/19/2016 - So If You Are An Employee or An Employer Do Your Part...
- 12/12/2016 - This is the Time of the Year...
- 12/05/2016 - Kept it Simple - Keep Them Safe
- 11/28/2016 - Give Thanks For Where We Are Today...
- 11/21/2016 - It Will Be a Win/Win For Everyone
- 11/14/2016 - ... The Way They Handled Their OSHA Inspection Did More Harm Than Good
- 11/07/2016 - So Why is it That Some Are Willing to Take Chances...
- 10/31/2016 - There is No Question That a 97% On A Quiz Or a Test Is Pretty Good...
- 10/24/2016 - I Do Think That If You Do Something...